What we do
Arpanam Special School for CP/MR Children – 2012 onwards
ARMDS fundamentally has a soft corner for the CP/MR and the Persons with Disabilities (PWD), of course for the ‘Children with Cerebral Palsy and Mental Retardation’ in need of special care and attention. Thus in order to offer them a promising new life, the Board of ARMDS decided to start a separate school for these children to provide individualised care and attention for these uncared children. Our proposal was accepted by the honourable Government of Tamilnadu keeping alive the meritorious services and the past profile of ARMDS. ARPANAM Special School got recognition from State Commissioner of Differently Abled, Chennai.
- Currently, 37 children with Cerebral Palsy and Mental Retardation are supported with education, therapy and training on management of disabilities,
- All the children are provided with training on ADLs by experts,
- Vocational skill training provided on candle making, cover making and screen printing and
- Parents of these 37 children are provided with counselling and support services.
Residential school for the school dropouts – 2013 onwards
Due to urbanization and unemployment issues, the poor agricultural labourers migrate to the urban areas seeking jobs. The frequent migration has resulted in loss of interest in children’s studies. Further, due to poverty, illiteracy, lack of proper guidance, many children are misguided and perverted. For such unfortunate children, the Board of ARMDS felt the necessity to open up a Residential Special Training Centre through the support of the Government. So through the benevolence of Sarva Siksha Abhiyan (SSA) ARMDS runs this residential school. There are 76 children from 2nd standard to 8th comprising of both boys and girls studying now.
- 76 school dropouts children were enrolled from 2nd standard to 8th standard
- They shall be mainstreamed after the 2nd year.